Sunday, 15 March 2009

Bibs, bibs and more bibs

I caught up with a couple of my gorgeous girlfriends recently, and they each have an almost one year old bub. I thought I'd try my hand at making some bibs for them (the bubs that is!).  

What do you think of these?

Purple Paisley - how surprising? ;-) 

Some bright animals!
Some gorgeous doggies.
A bit of camo to hide the spills.
Then I thought I'd try a smock like bib, I'm quite happy with the result.

Yummy cherries, front and back!
Now clever people, could someone please give me some tips about how  to make my binding better, especially how to finish it.  I've been overlapping my ends which is chunky and ugly, I'd love some tips on how to make it look nice.  Perhaps there is a tutorial in blogland that you can point me towards, or you might have a secret or two of your own?  I'd love any assistance you can offer.

Thanks!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

hmm. better binding. I'm not sure...you can't miter it like with quilts, can oyu?

ANYHOW - I love the bibs, I wish I was small enough to wear a smock one. Too cute!

Unknown said...

Good to see you back! This is my life saver for finishing off binding! I use it every time because I always forget how to do it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot7Trk6J2Vw

becanne said...

Think I better check out that youtube tip too - I always forget as well.
The ladies at my sewing group somehow fould the binding to create a 45 degree angle, sort of like when you join bias strips, so you don't end up with the bulk all in one spot.

I love the purple one - but you have some great fabrics in the others too!

Anonymous said...

I love the smock bibs. Hmmm there's something lady bird/bug about it. You could make them themed with that same shape. Ooo just had a thought- little angel/fairy ones.

With binding, on dog coats,I sewed the 1st end flat, then when joining up with it, folded over the top 2nd end. I then hand sewed as it's more exact than my machine sewing.

Tom said...

Love the last one, as a mum of a one year old that style is great cos it is less likely to drift and end up not covering what it is meant to.

Esther said...

woops that one labled Tom is Esther forgetting he had logged in.

sewing the seeds of love said...

Cute bibs !
Here is the link to a PDF file on how to do all machine binding..same process for quilts and bibs I guess??
http://www.priscillabianchi.com/text_docs/binding.pdf
It gives a nice finish . not bulky on the overlap..obviously need to adjust the width of the binding for your purposes but the start/ finish method works well.
Good luck..hope it is of some help and thanks for the great reading on your blog !
Cheers.